Happy New Year Friends. I’ve given this some thought and I am just not inspired to write a 2017 recap. It’s been a year. I think based on what I read on the interwebs and hear in the news, it has been a challenging year for most of us. Not that I would ever wish time away, but I am ready to take the lessons learned in 2017 and get busy applying them to life in 2018.
I keep seeing this post from Tim Ferris on Facebook and I really like it, “In 2018, I’m #HopefulFor you becoming the author of your own life because it’s never too late to replace the stories you tell yourself and the world. It’s never too late to begin a new chapter, add a surprise twist, or change genres entirely.” I too find myself #HopefulFor writing a new chapter in the book of life, for new adventures and pushing myself out of my comfort zone.
On Thursday I was lucky enough to have lunch with a friend from my OCU days, somehow we’ve managed to stay connected for over 20 years. We updated each other on our lives; work, family the usual stuff. The conversation turned to 2018 and my friend mentioned the idea of 18 in 2018. Somehow this idea, combined with the Tim Ferris post from above really struck a chord in me and in between games of Uno, tickle fights and family time I started scribbling down my own list of things I’d like to accomplish in 2018. I am not considering these, “resolutions,” more like actionable items for the new year. Many of these things have been rattling around in my brain for a while so I am welcoming the opportunity to put them down on paper – or send them out into blogosphere. I’ll offer a brief explanation for some, but others will wait for their very own blog post, (see #3); So here it is for your edification, my list of #18in2018:
- Complete the Devil Mountain 50k on August 28th in Pagosa Springs, CO. This race has been on my radar for a while as it is literally on the other side of the mountains from where our cabin is located. The 50k distance has long been on my list, so why not go all in with a mountain race at altitude?
- Take a Solo Trip – I like to travel, and I frequently travel alone but I am usually traveling to a specific destination where I am meeting up with someone. I want to strike out on a trip all on my own and see where the road takes me.
- Write more – I like to write, usually I’m just writing in my head. I am going to set myself up on an intentional schedule of writing and am committing to posting 1 blog a month.
- Become a Lifetime Member of Weight Watchers, again. Some of you might know that I used to be a Leader for Weight Watchers, well time and my weight have crept up on me and it’s time to get focused again. Based on my most recent weigh-in I have 15 lbs to lose to complete this task, and completing #4 will definitely help me accomplish #1.
- Work Less – Work Smarter, Not Harder. The only way I will accomplish all 18 in 2018 will be to work less.
- Spend time hiking – I want to be intentional about spending more time out in the woods. I have some specific trails in mind in Southeast Oklahoma and Arkansas.
- Get rid of stuff
- Read More
- Camp in a tent
- Camp in a teardrop trailer
- Reduce Credit Card Debt
- Kayak in 5 different bodies of water – White Rock Lake Doesn’t Count.
- Read the Bible
- Watch the Royals Play Baseball in person.
- Visit a new city
- Volunteer More
- Tithe to my church – to be honest this one scares me, but I’ve felt the urge to give more to my church and I want to explore the biblical concept of tithing and stepping out in Faith with my finances.
So there you go, my 18 in 2018. Yes, I will be using this list and my progress on each item for subsequent posts. I am excited for 2018 and where it might take me. But first up is the Dopey Challenge at Walt Disney World next weekend. This race series has been on my bucket list and I am looking forward to checking this one off my list.
Happy New Year Friends, I am hopeful that 2018 will bring us all Joy, Peace and Wonderful New Experiences.
Pingback: What Happened… | AuntJenFox